Trade Effluent to Sewers – Are you Compliant?

Trade Effluent to Sewers – Are you Compliant?

Trade Effluent to Sewers

As an Environmental Consultancy company, we are increasingly coming across businesses which have difficulties because they have not obtained a licence for discharging their Trade Effluent* to the sewer. This can result in prosecution and negative publicity, all of which can be costly for the business.

Do I need a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence for my business?
Whether your business is a small public house or a large industry, if it generates a Trade Effluent which is discharged to a sewer, then a Discharge Licence is most likely required. To discharge trade effluent to the sewer, you must apply to Irish Water for a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence. 

The following establishments or premises should have a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence:

  • Premises where manufacturing or processing of chemicals or metal finishing occurs
  • Premises where food and drink manufacturing occurs
  • Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs
  • Caravan parks
  • Nursing homes
  • Hospitals
  • Salons (hair, beauty etc)
  • Dentists
  • Launderettes & Dry Cleaners
  • Airports, bus and train stations
  • Public houses
  • Restaurants, cafés and takeaways
  • Universities, colleges, amenity and heritage centres
  • Service stations and/or car wash
  • Marts

Please note: The above list is not exhaustive and it’s a good idea to confirm if you are required to have a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence for your business.

We are happy to help!

If you are concerned about your obligations in relation to your Trade Effluent please contact us to discuss.
We can manage the application process on your behalf to ensure you meet your legal obligations.

For more information about how we can assist you with your requirements, please contact:
Michael Murphy ([email protected])
Paul Byrne ([email protected])

Southern Scientific Ecologist attends Ornithology Survey Workshop

Southern Scientific Services’ ecologist Fiona Mc Auliffe attended an informative workshop run by BirdWatch Ireland and the National Parks and Wildlife Services in Mallow recently. The workshop focused on the annual Countryside Bird Survey (CBS) and The Irish Wetland Bird Survey (I-WeBS). The CBS was initiated in 1998 and monitors

How will Brexit Effect your Contracted Laboratory Service?

As the UK prepares to leave the EU you may be wondering how this will impact your industry. If you currently avail of contract laboratory services in the UK the effects of a no deal Brexit may have major implications on the ability of UK based laboratories to provide a

Increased Private Drinking Water Well Grant

Mr. Eoghan Murphy, T.D. Minister for the Department of Housing, Planning & Local Government has announced a new investment programme for water services in rural areas. This includes an increase to the grant available to homeowners for refurbishment works or installation of a domestic well in rural areas. The maximum

Northern Ireland Soil Testing Requirements

Northern Ireland farmers will soon be required to carry out soil testing on their land prior to using chemical phosphorus-rich manures and phosphorus fertilisers. This requirement will take effect from 1 January 2020 under the Nutrient Action Programme 2019-2022. Farmers receiving the Basic Payment Scheme must comply with soil testing

Cation Exchange Capacity: The Forgotten Test of Irish Soil Analysis

The Cation Exchange Capacity (CEC) of a soil is an intrinsic property of the soil. It determines the soils ability to move nutrients from the soil particles to the soil solution where it is readily available for plant uptake. Knowing your soil’s CEC is invaluable when determining your soils fertiliser

Shopping cart
There are no products in the cart!
Continue shopping