What is Legionnaires’ Disease?
Legionnaires’ disease is a potentially fatal pneumonia contracted by inhaling airborne water droplets from a contaminated source that has allowed the organism to grow and spread. The most common form of contamination occurs in hot and cold water, such as showerheads, whirlpools and hydrotherapy baths. Anyone can develop Legionnaires’ disease, but the elderly and those immunocompromised by chronic respiratory or kidney disease are at more risk.
Legionella is a bacterium responsible for causing Legionnaire’s Disease and many other respiratory problems. Legionella thrives in warm, stagnant water where temperatures are between 20-45°C and nutrients are available. Therefore, Legionella typically exists at low concentrations in groundwater, lakes, and streams but can proliferate in water systems where temperatures are between 20-45°, including swimming pools, domestic water systems and showers, and whirlpool spas.
Why is Legionella Testing necessary?
- If water systems are left underused or not used for a short period can cause harm to the health of your staff, visitors and customers, i.e. re-openings.
- Businesses must comply with legionella regulations in water. Click here for the national guidelines on the control of Legionellosis by the HSE/HPSC.
- If a case of Legionnaire’s disease is confirmed, the HPSC may investigate the outbreak and take enforcement action if they find that regulations have been violated.
Who Is Legionella Testing Recommended for?
All commercial businesses should routinely test for Legionella and E-coli to demonstrate that bacteria counts are acceptable. However, there is a particular need for the following:
- Hotels, bars, restaurants.
- Gyms and swimming pools.
- GAA and recreational clubs.
- Anywhere the public uses using water for hygiene purposes.
We Perform Legionella Testing For You In 3 Easy Steps – Simple. Clear. Accurate:
- Simple – order the test you need, and we will post your legionella testing kit.
- Clear – follow the instructions, collect the sample and post it back to us the same day for next-day delivery.
- Accurate – easy-to-understand indicator results will be sent to you by email on days 3 and 7. We will report the final result in 14 days.