We are an Irish owned and operated environmental consultancy and testing facility.

Trade Effluent to Sewers – Are you Compliant?

Trade Effluent to Sewers

As an Environmental Consultancy company, we are increasingly coming across businesses which have difficulties because they have not obtained a licence for discharging their Trade Effluent* to the sewer. This can result in prosecution and negative publicity, all of which can be costly for the business.

Do I need a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence for my business?
Whether your business is a small public house or a large industry, if it generates a Trade Effluent which is discharged to a sewer, then a Discharge Licence is most likely required. To discharge trade effluent to the sewer, you must apply to Irish Water for a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence. 

The following establishments or premises should have a Trade
Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence:

  • Premises where manufacturing or processing of chemicals or metal finishing occurs
  • Premises where food and drink manufacturing occurs
  • Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs
  • Caravan parks
  • Nursing homes
  • Hospitals
  • Salons (hair, beauty etc)
  • Dentists
  • Launderettes & Dry Cleaners
  • Airports, bus and train stations
  • Public houses
  • Restaurants, cafés and takeaways
  • Universities, colleges, amenity and heritage centres
  • Service stations and/or car wash
  • Marts

Please note: The above list is not exhaustive and it’s a good idea to confirm if you are required to have a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence for your business.

We are happy to help!

If you are concerned about your obligations in relation to your Trade Effluent please contact us to discuss.
We can manage the application process on your behalf to ensure you meet your legal obligations.

For more information about how we can assist you with your requirements, please contact:
Michael Murphy (
Paul Byrne (