As an Environmental Consultancy company, we are increasingly encountering businesses with difficulties because they have not obtained a licence for discharging their Trade Effluent to the sewer. This can result in prosecution and negative publicity, which can be costly for the business.
Do I need a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Discharge Licence for my business?
Whether your business is a small public house or a large industry, if it generates Trade Effluent discharged to a sewer, then a Discharge Licence is most likely required. To discharge trade effluent to the sewer, you must apply to Irish Water for a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence.
Who needs a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence?
The following establishments or premises should have a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence:
- Premises where manufacturing or processing of chemicals or metal finishing occurs
- Premises where food and drink manufacturing occurs
- Hotels, guesthouses and B&Bs
- Caravan parks
- Nursing homes
- Salons (hair, beauty etc)
- Launderettes & Dry Cleaners
- Airports, bus and train stations
- Public houses
- Restaurants, cafés and takeaways
- Universities, colleges, amenities and heritage centres
- Service stations and/or car wash
Please note: The above list is not exhaustive, and it’s a good idea to confirm if you are required to have a Trade Effluent Discharge to Sewer Licence for your business.
Relevant Resources on Discharge Licences
- Water.ie compiles a list of who needs a discharge licence and how you can apply for one.
- Here is a link to the government’s guidelines and requirements on discharges to water.
How Can We Help?
If you are concerned about your obligations in relation to your Trade Effluent, please get in touch with us to discuss. We can manage the application process to ensure you meet your legal obligations.
For more information about how we can assist you with your requirements, please contact:
👨🔬 Michael Murphy